Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stonegrill on Winchester

Date: June 2008
Location: 51B Winchester Street, Toronto, ON M4X 1A8
Website: www.stonegrillonwinchester.com

I heard about Stonegrill from my friends. Most of the main dishes are served on a heated stone. The waiter said the main advantage for serving on a heated stone is the juices within the meats are all sealed up. Only meat with a moist surface would be cooked by the stone. The waiter said it is safe to touch the stone as long as your finger is not wet, however I didn't try as I was scared to be burnt. The steaks are kept warm similar to the hot pot used in Korean restaurant. Personally, I love medium rare steak so I didn’t left the steak stay on the stone for too long. The longer it stays on the stone, the more it gets cooked.

The main dishes are quite expensive in this restaurant ranging from $28 to $34. Each entree came with a small dish of vegetables. I planned to treat my C.C. a good meal. However because of the price, he ended up paying it again (Yes! He is a bad C.C.). I found their soup and Foie Gras to be very delicious. Their steak was great but I have had better steak before. I am not sure if it was the quality of steak or it was the cooking method. I found the steak to be a bit dry. Nevertheless, the scallops were excellent and tender.


Coconut based soup with fishies  
The fishies can be cooked on the stone or put into the soup. It tasted better in the soup.


Sesame Seared Foie Gras - Mango, Phyllo and Walnut Tatsoi  
The Foie Gras is very tasty, but it is not all cooked. 
People who do not like raw food may not like it.


10 Oz Certified Angus Strip Loin 
The steak is thinner than the Certified Angus Steak so not as juicy.


6 Oz AAA Sirloin and 2 Scallops
This thick strip loin is very tasty and the scallops are tender. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment